Glen Creek

Westmount, formerly known as Côte St. Antoine, derives its present-day name from its location on the western side of Montreal’s Mount Royal. The many streams and gullies that once crossed Côte St. Antoine were a result of thousands of years of erosion caused by rain and melting snow which flowed down the slopes of the western side of the Mountain and into Lac St. Pierre in the village of St. Henri des Tanneries. Many of these streams converged at the south end of what is now Westmount Park and formed a small river called the Glen. Rapid urban development in the early 20th century meant that the Glen as well as most of the smaller streams that flowed through the town of Côte St. Antoine were filled in or diverted underground. The fountains and waterways that we find in Westmount Park today are the last vestiges of these lost rivers.

  1. Part of Cote St. Antonie & St. Henri showing the Glen Creek, 1890, BANQ
Part of Cote St. Antonie & St. Henri showing the Glen Creek, 1890, BANQ
Historical Photos of The Glen & the St-Henri Tanneries / from Westmount Historical Society

Historical Photos of The Glen & the St-Henri Tanneries / from Westmount Historical Society